Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Journal in a Jar 02.09.10 ~ Wedding Day



Describe your wedding day

I was seven years old the first time I saw the Glass Chapel (Wayfarer's Chapel) in Rancho Palos Verdes. I stood on the stony path that winds around the chapel and watched a wedding. The sunlight, filtered by trees and branches, streamed in through stained glass, onto the bride. She was stunning ~ all smiles, light & tears in her eyes. The whole scene was beautiful. It was then I knew that's where I wanted to get married. I've been to weddings all over this town, this state, this country ~ in churches big and small, in backyards, on beaches, in Vegas. All beautiful for the couple getting married at the time. For me, anytime I imagine my own wedding, it's at Wayfarer's Chapel.

As a teenager, I used to listen to a Riverside radio station called KOLA. Basically album-oriented rock, the station had no DJs and few commercials. This is where my *love* of rock music stems from - of course, now it's called classic rock. Anyway, I would sit with my fingers poised above PLAY and RECORD in order to catch some of my favorite songs. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen was one of those songs. I sat with my headphones on, listening to Bruce hitting PAUSE then REWIND as I tried to figure out the lyrics - of course now, I just Google it. "...I'll love you with all the madness in my soul..." My teenaged head and heart wrapped around this song like a vine. My teenaged head and heart ached to have a love like that, to feel love like that. My teenaged head and heart romanticized and fantasized, finally settling on Born to Run as my wedding song. No joke. I was vindicated and validated when I read in Tiger Beat that Matt Dillon wanted the same song played at *his* wedding. For 3 days, I figured Matt and I were destined to be together.

Throughout my life, I've had three different recurring dreams. One of those dreams started my junior year of high school, continued through my first year of college, stopped then restarted when I moved to CSUN. The dream was my wedding. I'm walking down the aisle, looking at everything and everyone through a lacy veil though everything is perfectly clear. I stand in front of the groom, he lifts my veil and he has no face. This dream used to freak me out ~ what did it mean?! I was able to describe every single detail - the location, the people, the petals on the floor, someone sneezing (weird!); but I was not able to see the Groom. I haven't had that dream in a very long time...

No comments: