Monday, November 07, 2011

NaBloPoMo 11.7 - Do You Hear What I Hear?

Inspired by Kelly's post "Misunderstood" over at Southern Fried Children, today's post celebrates misheard lyrics!

Kelly's daughter misheard the chorus of the Joni Mitchell/Counting Crows song "Big Yellow Taxi" - fucking lot...parking lot. I get it.

I heard honest I see you instead of 'our lips are sealed.' My friend, Karen, thought Van Halen sang pray to god instead of 'Panama' - seriously. My sister firmly believed Janet Jackson exclaimed Lady Accolade! in the middle of 'Escapade'. She wouldn't accept that Miss Jackson said Minneapolis! - "Ew, no. Why would she say that?!" Uh...maybe because she recorded the album IN Minneapolis.

Do you know the song 'Summer Breeze' by Seals and Crofts? No, of course not. You're too young. Whatever. Anywhoo...

That song irritates the hell outta me! Because, this is what *I* hear:
Summer breeze makes me feel fine. Don't let me hear the jazz man in my mind.

However, this is what I'm told is correct:
Summer breeze makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.

Huh? Whaaa? Jasmine. Blowing through your mind. Psh. As if. When does THAT happen? Huh? When? Why would a summer breeze blow jasmine through your mind AND make you feel fine?Pfft. I reject that totally.

On the other hand (read: correct), summer breeze...blowing...la la la...feeling fine...la la la...don't let that jazz man start playing - I don't wanna hear it! I just want to sit...feeling fine...la la la. Am I right? Are you with me?!

Share your misheard lyrics in the comments.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, I do this all the time.

I used to think Katy Perry's line in 'Hot and Cold' was "you'd be a mess, like a bitch I would know". but now I've come to learn it's "you pms, like a bitch I would know". makes more sense! haha :)