Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving used to be a trip to San Pedro to visit my grandparents. They had the tiniest house; somehow there was plenty of room for everyone.

Though the usual Thanksgiving grub sat on the table, I was more interested in the sticky rice and chicken adobo and Spam. Grandma would spend the entire day cooking and baking. Ohh, the baking! Everything from scratch. People would place orders for her pies. She would bake pies for the sisters and priests in the rectory behind the house. She would bake pies for our Thanksgiving dessert as well as bake pies for families to take home. And she would bake a lemon meringue pie without meringue just for me...

At Grandma's funeral, someone (Uncle Nicky maybe?) mentioned her pies. There was a collective groan from the crowd.

Not sure why this memory came to me. I'm sure glad it did :)

No comments: