Sunday, November 22, 2009

Review: Save New Wave II

Save New Wave II
11.21.09
House of Blues Sunset - Los Angeles CA
Hosted by Richard Blade
Featuring:
Blasphemous Rumours
Joshua Tree
The Cured
INXSive

Any gig with Richard Blade's name attached is a sure-fire way to get me to go. I mean, c'mon - any (every?) SoCal kid who grew up in the 80s knows Richard Blade - KROQ, MV-3, Video One. He introduced me to my favorite bands and my favorite music...ahhh, Richard Blade...love you, call me...

I have no expectations going into this show. Cover bands are cover bands, y'know? Except now they're known as 'tribute' bands. Yeah, I don't get it either. Tomayto/Tomahto. I've only seen one other 'tribute' band - Hollywood U2. And they were ridiculous! In an awesome way.

Before the gig, HOB is spinning the requisite 80s music - Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, PFurs; all the familiar stuff, the usual, the stuff kids now know and call 'oldies' (uhh...OUCH!).

First up - INXSive. Sound GREAT! The curly-haired Pauly Shore-looking Michael Hutchence-channeling dude is pretty much hittin' it. I'm dancing and singing along, thoroughly enjoying this band. Musically, all the members are pretty talented. They played most of the INXS hits - Don't Change, What You Need, Never Tear Us Apart, blah blah blah. I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Next, the Cured. The lead singer dude was wearing a wig. A horrible horrible wig. Fail. His so-called Robert Smith moves were fail, too. He forgot lyrics to a couple of songs. FAIL! I was totally bummed. He mumbled and fumbled. Ashley said: it's okay to pay tribute but don't try to BE Robert Smith! The guy walked around the crowd in his wig for the next two sets, all but begging for attention. Sad. Fail.

The Joshua Tree was up next; by this time, I was ready to go. I did not want to stick around for more tribute fails. Joshua Tree performed the Red Rocks concert from 1983. They did a fine job.

In between the sets, the 80s music became more obscure and fantastic: Let Me Go, Plans for Nigel, 80s by Killing Joke were a few standouts.

Blasphemous Rumours closed the show. OK. The opposite of FAIL! I was blown away. Martin Gore-looking dude was great. The lead singer dude was fantastic! I danced through the whole set. Well, except for 'Somebody' - I just sniffled and comforted my friend. But the rest of the set was crazy good - People are People, Enjoy the Silence, Get the Balance Right, Everything Counts, Master & Servant. They hit the big DM hits; though I was disappointed no Blasphemous Rumours or Just Can't Get Enough to be heard.

Overall, I had a great time with friends - dancing around to fun 80s music. I will not see the Cured again. However, next time BR hits Romano's in Riverside, I may have to go home for a night...

No comments: