Saturday, July 10, 2010

NaBloPoMo 7.10 - Splurge and Save

What's one thing you think it's worth spending money on? What's one thing you always cheap out on?

Splurge:
Toilet paper and tissues.

When I first lived on my own, I shopped according to what Mom bought. This brand of that, that brand of this. I didn't really budget - everything worked out at the end of the month.

Then, I moved to Los Angeles.

I had to make a few adjustments. It was definitely 'trial and error' - no-name peanut butter does not taste as good as Jif; Hydrox cookies pale in comparison to Oreos; store-brand 'puffed rice' cereal doesn't quite snap, crackle and pop but it is a pretty fair trade for the name brand. So, I cut some corners and moved on.

Then, I discovered the 99 Cents store. :::insert angels' chorus:::

Wow, what a great find, right? Everything you could EVER (and NEVER) need in one place for one price: chewing gum, cat litter, paper plates, those fake designer perfumes, candles, batteries, potpourri, notebooks and NSYNC pencils. Seriously, everything. Wisely, the stores stock tissues and toilet paper in the prime impulse point - at the front of the store. It's perfect placement! You (or I) are standing in line, the display catches your eye and you think "99 cents? Why not? You (or I) will always need toilet paper right and tissues? Right." So you (or I) grab a coupla four packs and a box or two of tissues.

Then, you (or I) use it. dun dun dun

These are horrible paper products. "Paper" :::shiver::: I remember having a cold; those tissues were so rough, my nose was bleeding! I'm serious. And the toilet paper? Trust me: don't do it. So, I splurge. And, I'm okay with that.

Save: shoes.

I've been buying shoes at Payless Shoe Source for over 20 years. I bought my first pair of high heels (white pumps that I absolutely loved!) from Payless at the age of 20. Every Tuesday after work or school, I would make a stop at the two Payless stores near my home and troll for size 12s. All of the shoes were less than $20, so a little money went a long way. I was - and continue to be - rough on shoes, usually lucky if the shoes last one season. My favorite shoes get a regular beating; it's the reason I typically buy more than one pair.

Through the years, the quality and styles of shoes at Payless have improved tremendously. The choices of styles in size 12 has improved, too. While I will splurge on a great pair of Franco Sarto high heels from Nordstrom, most of my shoes are inexpensive ones scored from Payless.com.

No comments: