Saturday, August 02, 2008

the best laid plans...

The plan was simple: get up early, work on the apartment, go into the office for a few hours, drive down to Solana Beach for the English Beat show.

Uh, yeah. Not so much.

Finished with stuff at home, I was ready to head to the bank then the office. However, my car wasn't cooperating - dead battery. Sigh

Call AAA.
Wait 25 minutes.
"Yep, you need new battery."

"OK, fine."
"How will you pay?"
"How much is it?"
"Only $125."
"MasterCard."

Out $125 but the proud owner of a new battery, I drive over to the credit union near the studio. Mind you, this is 2 freeways and several city blocks from my place. Do my banking. Back in car. Car starts quickly; however it stalls.

Hmm.

Start.
Stall.
Start.
Stall.


WHAT THE CRAP?!

Fine. Get AAA back on the phone - "Yeah, not sure what happened; just got new battery less than 30 minutes ago and my car is stalling." Grrr!

About 25 minutes later, another AAA battery truck shows up.

"Blah blah blah, computer something, I'll call a tow truck, blah blah blah, I know a good mechanic."
"Thanks, just take me to the dealership on Lankershim." He was appalled. Visibly.
"The dealership? Why? I hear they rip you off." Yeah, I'll bet you 'hear' that.
"The dealership knows my car. I know them. It's fine."
"You don't have a mechanic?"
I mention the name of a female mechanic who is well-known in the Valley. Again with the visibly appalled thing.
"Well, I know a really good place right there on Cahuenga..."
"The dealership is fine. Thanks." He walks away.

40 minutes later, the tow truck shows up. Right out of the gate he's on me about mechanic versus dealership; full-court press! I walked away.

"The dealership costs an arm and a leg. I know a really good guy..."
"Just take me to the dealership please. Thank you."
"You know they take advantage of women. I had a lady right before you who paid $6,000 for a new engine at the dealership. My guy would only charged $3,000. Dealership charges women more."
"It's a good thing I don't need a new engine."
"Are you su..."
"Look - I may not know a lot about cars, but I do know what I want. I want you to take me to the dealership. Thank you."

It was a long and silent ten minute drive. Until we made the turn into the driveway.

"Here's my card. Find out how much it costs, then call me. My guy will do it for half and I will tow you for free." He must get a good kickback from his guy...

Two hours and $99 later, I got my car. It also cost me frazzled nerves as I talked myself out of the drive down to San Diego for The English Beat show.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reese! :) This is Scary Shari from LiveJournal, and your N. Calif. "neighbor"! Thanks for the happy surprise comment you left in my blog about my entry on the concert I attended w/ The Alarm, The English Beat and The Fixx! (How did you find my blog, BTW? I'm always curious when that happens!)

It's always nice to meet another fan of 80s music, which I noticed you are when I read your Blogger profile page. ;) I've also enjoyed reading some of your recent entries here. Between your profile and your entries, you seem like a very cool person! Are you on LiveJournal at all? If so, I'd be glad to add you to my Friends List; about 75% of my blog entries are public, but I do have some that are "friends-locked", as the LJ jargon goes. *chuckle*

Funny coincidence -- I actually first forayed into the world of blogging with Blogspot/Blogger! However, after some friends introduced me to LJ, I liked it much better than Blogger, for a variety of reasons. But if you're not on LJ, I can bookmark your blog, so I'll remember to check it from time to time. You will find me a faithful commentor. :) And of course you're welcome to visit my blog anytime.

I hope you're having a great weekend so far! Type to you soon!

Shari

Lys said...

What a hot mess! Kudos to you for telling the tow truck driver to stop that mess. Ugh!

Sorry you had to miss the show :(