Thursday, April 10, 2008

NaBloPoMo - J is for...

juxtapose

jux·ta·pose [juhk-stuh-pohz, juhk-stuh-pohz]

–verb (used with object), -posed, -pos·ing.
to place close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast.

Juxtapose is a cool word! The look of it. The sound of it. The feel of it. Juxtapose is a word that doesn't roll off your tongue as much as it pushes itself out of your mouth. Say it. Say it! That's right ~ juxtapose. Nice, right? Yeah it is.

Now, for such a cool word, why is the meaning so...uncool? Honestly, I had *no idea* the actual meaning of the word juxtapose. All this time I thought juxtapose was a synonym for transpose (which totally reminds me of transponster ~ Love shout to my FRIENDS hooligans!). No, seriously. I did. "The phone number is wrong? Must have juxtaposed the numbers."

Live and learn, my friends. Live and learn.

No comments: