Monday, June 16, 2008

NaBloPoMo ~ Home XVI

I've realized my problem - I have no plan.

I have a plan for and vision of what my place will look like. I do not have a plan for how to get there. And it's what I need to do.

The enormity of decluttering is completely overwhelming for me. I keep saying it because it keeps being true. I've made a list of things I want/need - new bed, TV, other things. The list I really need to be making is the list of steps to get rid of the rest of the clutter.

Yeah, it's a lot of talk. There is NO WAY I'm going back to how this place was! So, I'm making a list; checking it twice.
  • pare down my clothes even more
  • get rid of a lot of books - ultimately getting rid of the tall bookcase
  • clear out the dressers so I have space to put stuff
  • clear out the closet and storage cupboards so I have space to put stuff
  • goal: move clothes from the rack into closet
  • make each area of my room functional
  • go through the jewelry
  • shoes - WTH am I going to do with them?! Where will they go?!

That's all I have down right now. I've decided to allow these emotions to roil and roll inside, dealing with them as it goes. I know I am focusing on these little things as a way to avoid what I need to do...well, avoid the overwhelming feeling associated with what I need to do. It's the little goals I set which will bring the sense of accomplishment.

And that's exactly what I am set to do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New to your blog and so sorry I'm about a week late on the massive clothing and shoe giveaway. Dang a sista needed some freebies for sure!!

Good luck with continuing the process. I have a friend who is a hoarder as well and we can not do anything to help her (total avoidance). She has a hubby and 6 kids too, so just imagine the clutter if you will.

So glad you sought out your therapist to deal with the overwhelming feelings. Acceptance is the first step and you are so headed in the right direction, so pat yourself on the back chica.

I'll be back.

Reese said...

Thank you, bunny!
I'll let you know when I clear out more clothes :)

MRH said...

Where to send things?
This is something you may need to do a bit of research on...but this immediately came to mind. I wish I had the names of different organizations that are collecting these things for distribution.

Three of the largest cities in Iowa were devastated by flooding last week. Some people lost everything they own - clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry, furniture, household items (sheets, towels, etc), books, etc.

I don't know how it all works as far as donating goes, but dig around a little bit and I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Focus on the areas of Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Burlington and Des Moines, Iowa.