Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Girl of 100 Lists ~ music

Below are 5 songs I could (and do!) listen to over and over and over...

1) Roll With the Changes by REO Speedwagon - this song makes me feel good all over. It reminds me of San Franciso...I was driving over the Golden Gate Bridge in a convertible Mazda Miata, top down, sun sparkling, wind blowing, this song blasting "so if you're tired of the same old story, oh baby, turn some pages." It was one of those moments that was perfect. And one I'll never forget. Even if I was just driving - "got to keep on rolling..."

2) Sweet Someone by Don Ho - my Mom always played Don Ho when she would iron clothes. (Yeah, I don't know) I would be splayed on the living room floor, imagining Don Ho playing right there in front of me. My Dad would come in, grab Mom and the 2 of them would dance and sway, singing to each other (I'm swaying as I type!). It was such a loving moment, but all I could say was "STOP IT! YUCK!" This song also reminds me of my Uncle Robert, who looks and sounds like Don Ho! "Sweet Someone...whoever you may be..."

3) So What'cha Want by the Beastie Boys - I totally dig this song! It's funky and it's groovy. "I'm the illest mother f'er from here to Gardena" is the greatest line ever.

4) Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan - the best cha-cha song ever! My sister taught me how to cha-cha to this song...it was on the in-store radio of the Broadway years ago and we danced in the aisles. How can you listen to this song and not move & groove? "First you put your arms around me...then you put your charms around me..." Damn, girl. Sing it!

5) The Message by Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five - damn. "Don't push me cuz I'm close to the edge, I'm tryin not to lose my head...it's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from goin under..." Damn.

2 comments:

Lys said...

Those are some good ones, esp. the Grandmaster Flash one.

How about 5 songs you would rather subject yourself to the throes of, I dunno, the longest bad date ever than hear the beginning notes of those horrid songs you wish would be erased off of musicscapes everywhere... (including Muzak - because seriously, Crush On You in the elevator.. ugh!)

Anonymous said...

I second your selection of "So What'cha Want" by the Beastie Boys, I absolutely love them.
It's amazing how certain songs can totally mold your feelings - at least for me.
Glad to have found you through NaBloPoMo!